|Fields of research
- contemporary art in China
- urban visual culture
- urban studies
- socio-spatial studies
- China Dream
|Further fields of research
- society and culture in China
- art history in China
- philosophy in China
- ecological humanities
- PhD ‘Urban Imaginaries: Contemporary Art and Urban Transformations in China since 2001’, School of Art, Birmingham City University, UK (Sep 2018 - Oct 2021)
- MA Contemporary Arts China, School of Art, Birmingham City University, UK (Sep 2017 - Aug 2018)
- MA East Asian Studies (Chinese Studies), Leiden University, the Netherlands (Sep 2015 - Aug 2016)
- BA Language, Culture and Society of Asia and Mediterranean Africa, Ca Foscari University of Venice, Italy (Sep 2012 - Jul 2015)
- Leverhulme Early Career Fellow, The city as art: living aesthetics in twenty-first century China, School of Art, Birmingham City University, UK (Jan 2023 - Jan 2026)
- Research Fellow, Chair of Chinese Culture and Society, University of St.Gallen, Switzerland (Sep 2021 - Oct 2022)
- Visiting Lecturer, Birmingham City University, UK (Mar 2019 - ongoing)
- Research Assistant, Troy House Art Foundation, London, UK (Jan 2020 - Jul 2020)
- Research Assistant for the PGR Studio at Birmingham City University, UK (Jan 2019 - Jan 2020)
- Curatorial Assistant for the ‘Thailand Biennale 2018-19, Krabi’, Thai Ministry of Culture, Thailand (Nov 2017 - Nov 2018)
- My teaching feeds into the MA course Contemporary Arts China (CAC), Birmingham City University (BCU).
- Teacher accreditation: SEDA Associate Fellow
- Centre for Chinese Visual Arts (CCVA), BCU
- AHRC funded Midlands3Cities Doctoral Studentship Award (Sep 2018 - Oct 2021)
- MA scholarship from Birmingham City University (Sep 2017 - Sep 2018)
- Merit-based award to study at the Jilin Huaqiao Foreign Language Institute, China (Aug 2014 - Jan 2015)
- Mirra, Federica (2021), ‘Villages in the City’, Fringe/ALUS Symposium, Universidad de Alcalá, Madrid.
- Mirra, Federica (2021), ‘Embroidery: Traditional Re-imaginings of Contemporary Urban Beijing’, 12th International Convention of Asia Scholars (ICAS), Kyoto.
- Mirra, Federica (2021), ‘Thames Town: re-imagining Stratford Upon Avon in Shanghai’, 2020 CPHC/Print Networks Conference, Appleby-in-Westmoreland.
- Mirra, Federica (2019), ‘Imagining futures through real estate billboards in the context of urbanised Beijing’, CCVA 12th Annual Conference, Tate Liverpool, Liverpool.
- Mirra, Federica (2019), ‘Reimagining the Natural and Urban Through the Traditional Notion of Shanshui in Architecture and Art in the 20th century’, International Conference in Trinity College Dublin.
- (accepted for publication), Mirra, Federica, ‘Mobilità sociale ed artistica nei villaggi urbani in Cina’, part of the edited issue on ‘città e campagna’ in Sinosfere.
- (accepted for publication) Mirra, Federica, ‘Forest Chongqing: a photographic reportage by Yan Wang Preston’, part of the edited volume Contesting Reportage: New Perspectives from the Sinophone World.
- (accepted for publication) Mirra, Federica, ‘Urban//Rural: An art perspective’, part of the edited volume Urban Im/mobilities: Literary Narratives and Artivisms, Palgrave.
- (accepted for publication) Mirra, Federica, ‘Architectural copycats, gated communities, and themed towns in China’s visual arts', part of an edited issue in Visual Studies.
- (under review) Mirra, Federica, ‘Erasure: the hidden potential of China’s migrant workers in visual arts’, Third Text.
- (accepted with minor revision) Mirra, Federica, ‘Stitching space: tactile explorations of China’s urban and social fabric through visual arts’, Positions: asia critique.
- Mirra, Federica (2020), ‘The art of billboards in urbanized China’, Journal of Contemporary Chinese Art 7:2-3, pp. 275-300.
- Mirra, Federica (2019), ‘Reverie through Ma Yansong’s Shanshui City to evoke and re-appropriate China’s urban space’, Journal of Contemporary Chinese Art 6:2-3, pp. 393-413.
- Mirra, Federica (2019), ‘Visual arts, representations and interventions in contemporary China: urbanized interface’, Journal of Visual Art Practice 18:3, pp. 282-284.
- Contributing author of:
- Catalogue of Thailand Biennale (2019), Bangkok: Office of Contemporary Art and Culture, Ministry of Culture.
- Thailand Biennale Short Guide (2018), Bangkok: Office of Contemporary Art and Culture, Ministry of Culture.